08 Sep Hifdh Help: Balancing University & Hifdh
Assalaamu ‘alaykum wa Rahmatullah
Beloved Quran Hearts,
This week’s post – Hifdh Help – is all about answering and addressing your hifdh-related concerns.
- Have a hifdh question? Need some advise? Email: email@example.com with ‘Hifdh help Q & A’ in the subject line, or leave a comment at the end of this post. Your question could be featured in an upcoming post & benefit many others.
Q: Assalamualaikum, can you give me advice on how to balance hifdh with University course work? [Riham]
A: Wa ‘alaykumus salaam wa Rahmatullah dear sister Riham,
- Begin by outlining your hifdh goals on 2 levels: on a semester basis, and secondly, on a yearly basis. This will help you keep track of and stay accountable to yourself and your hifdh teacher, and keep you focused on your intended goal.
- Consult your hifdh teacher, and draw on her valuable advise and guidance.
- Prioritize: hifdh needs time and our mental energy – try to consider which additional / extra curricular activities you could compromise with, so as to have more time, energy and space for hifdh in your life.
- Set up a simple, flexible and realistic timetable for everyday hifdh : taking into consideration what’s expected of you, draw up a timetable where you can allocate time to learn and to revise.
- Time management: though it may initially come across as a struggle or challenge, find ways of maximizing your time and multi-tasking. This will hold you in good stead, and prevent a feeling of overwhelm later on.
- During those very busy (and stressful!) exam periods, work on the ‘just 5 minutes’ rule: at very busy times such as these, it can be tempting to defer or delay our hifdh. But even if you’re just revising older hifdh during this time, that’s perfectly fine!
- Plan ahead: decide ahead of the semester breaks and holidays, how you intend ‘catching up’ during your free time. It may be that during a particularly challenging semester you are unable to make the progress you had intended, and so the holiday period would be ideal for this.